Thursday, September 15, 2011

the headboard....

When people visit my house, my headboard is often a point of conversation.  This was such a simple and cheap project, but it definitely took some vision.
It started out as a salvaged door, I paid $10 for this door. To be honest, I was pissed about even paying $10 (I know, "what a steal, what a steal").  This beauty was laying in a pile to be thrown away and I asked if I could have it (side note: don't ask when dumpster diving, as soon as someone knows they have something you want, the price goes up!) of course she said,"no, I'm not throwing that one away" so I was forced to haggle her down from $35 to $10. SO the process began... I hauled it home... and it sat for awhile... I love the colors this door was already painted/weathered but I heheheda and haaada over painting it.  I am normally drawn to bright colors, so it was a true departure to go soft and light (shabby chic, if you will).  Unfortunately I don't have any "in progress" pictures, mostly because this was the one thing my Dad needed to finish before my huge holiday party last year and it went up the day of (love you Dad).

My Dad fashioned a bracket so the door hangs flush with the wall.  He added some crown molding (everything is better with crown molding, trust me) to the top for a shelf.  I absolutely love how it turned out, it has a lot of character and gives my room a cozy feel.  In hindsight I'm so glad I went with light colors, my room is so relaxing and feels a touch glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...